Friday, May 22, 2009

Visiting an old stomping ground

The weather determines whether or not Artimus and Gollum can go outside. (Weather and whether in the same sentence. hee hee i'm such a dork.) They do not like wind, rain, cold, or extreme heat. Gollum overheats very easily because of his dark hair. These past few days have been very nice, so we decided to visit one of our old parks. The park actually DOES have grass, but I didn't photograph it very much. Gollum and Artimus prefer to walk on the bricks and concrete. I'm not joking.When we lived in the Houston Lofts, we went to this park that was right in front of the old convention center entrance. It's named General Worth Square. It's near Del Friscos, between Commerce and Houston streets....on Main St. Since the park is divided by Main Street, I keep a close eye on the dogs. They are extremely trustworthy, but I have to watch out for those clever squirrels who will lure them into the street. We haven't seen a squirrel there in more than a year, so I'm not concerned. We visited both sides of the park, then I decided to take them to the water fountain in case they wanted a drink of water. The fountain resides just a few yards away from the park. We went down some steps then they barely looked at the water fountain. They were more concerned with the smells from where all the shrubs had been cut down. I hope the parks department plans to do something to replace the plants, because it was a lot prettier before. In this photo, Gollum is running back toward me. A ladybug probably scared him. Anyway, after they explored a little more, I decided we should head back home. We went back up the stairs...and oh.my. A "S.Q.U.I.R.R.E.L"---the dilemma here: tell Artimus there is a squirrel and watch him unsuccessfully try to spot it on his own. Even though the squirrel may be waving around his arms and have fireworks shooting out his bottom, Artimus seldom spots them on his own. Option number 2 requires a careful approach on my part, so that Artimus picks up on my body signals and starts to look around. Once I say "squirrel," I leap in the direction of the marmot, and Artimus does the rest, while Gollum, hopefully, gets some kind of enjoyment out of all the action. If he's tired, he will just yawn and move along. Luckily Artimus chased the squirrel up the nearest tree, and Gollum had enough energy to follow. They both saw a squirrel. They smile and trot like they've slayed a dragon. It's so fun. I took a picture of the squirrel who obviously had no idea what kind of animal just chased him. He was so curious that he just sat in the crook of this tree until we all walked away. Did you know squirrels eat leaves? I thought they just ate tree nuts, but I saw this one eat the leaves.

3 comments:

  1. Happiest dogs on the planet!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful blog with pictures to enjoy. I especially liked the second from the last that made Artimus look like a real healthy happy little boy. The last one proved all that prancing around makes him want attention.

    What a life they have. Fortunate little puppies.

    I hope you are enjoying this wonderful day, (Friday).

    Have a great day. Love you all, MomGrandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    I must say that you take the most gorgeous pictures! I cracked up when you made the comment about the "ladybug". Be glad that the boys can't get the squirrel. Woody has already killed two and brought one into the house! He has also killed birds and chomped down on them. Yuck! I found black bird feather in the back yard. (The aritcle on the hummingbirds was great..thanks so much)
    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete