Friday, May 29, 2009

Taking the mystery out of hair dye

Sometimes I can't believe I actually paid someone else to sit me in a chair up to four hours at a time and dye my hair. I've always suspected it wasn't rocket science. I bleached my hair myself for years. It didn't look great, but it wasn't terrible. My hair was extremely short at the time, so it was a snap. A few months ago, I decided I would try to figure out this hair dye thing again. Instead of buying Clairol, Loreal or whatever home hair dye kit offered at Walmart, I went to Sally Beauty Supply. I asked a couple of questions from the super knowledgable and helpful staff. I only bought four items, and for under $25, I have enough product to dye my hair up to four times. In the comfort of my own home, I can dye my hair then while it's processing, I can keep busy with chores or just watch TV. I don't have to make an appointment, and I can dye more frequently than I would if I had to go to a salon. When the dye dries in my hair, I just take a shower, wash it out and it's done. I don't have to worry about gray hairs for another month or so. Here are the tools I use: the dye itself which is SOOO much fun to pick out. There are so many choices, like being in a candy store. It's like a gel in consistency. Then the developer which is more watery. A bottle is used both to mix the dye and developer together and then to apply it directly to the scalp. This bottle is called a color applicator=$1.89. It's reusable.The dye and developer need to be mixed really, really well, so that means a LOT of shaking. I shake the bottle for about 5 minutes then start parting my hair in various places and squeeze the product onto my head. It's just not that difficult! The gloves keep my hands from drying out while rubbing the solution down on my head. The gloves are also reusable. I just rinse and reuse the bottle and gloves. It's not a pretty sight during the process.The surprising fact is that it doesn't burn or sting like I remember in the salons. I'm guessing it's not as strong, but it works all the same. So, the bad news: I've dropped dye on the carpet. It stains. Duh. The kitchen sink is kinda "spotted." I've ruined a couple old T-shirts, but who cares. I'm saving hundreds of dollars a year, and I get to stay home....my favorite place.



3 comments:

  1. The last picture looks like it was really worth it!

    I don't know Andrea, but I think I would get a bleach pen and use some Q-tips on that spot. With gel you can keep the bleach only on the dye and maybe the dye will bleach to a lighter color - at least. Have wet and dry rags handy to get it up when the job is over. You must get all the bleach out of the carpet or it will continue to lighten the carpet.

    Clorox clean-up with bleach spray will work wonders on the sink if left for a few hours, then use your powdered automaic dishwashing detergent to scour it out and your sink will probably look like new.

    Hope that works. (That sounds like my kind of challenge)

    I would say saving all that money AND staying home would be worth it. - (I think you are talented.)

    Can't wait to see that beautiful hair and smile Monday!..
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair always looks great when you dye it. I've never noticed anything amiss. And I guess one or two spots on the floor and a spotty sink is worth saving the extra cash! :)

    ReplyDelete