Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Couples

We are looking forward to BABIES!
While getting to know our doves as individuals, we also have a pair that keep us entertained. We call them the "happy couple." They actually do something I can only describe as "kiss." They put their beaks together and bob back and forth, back and forth, before doing the humpty dance.They epitomize the commitment and teamwork that is required for the survival of a couple. The husband stands guard as the wife pecks at the birdfeeder, and she kicks dove butt when necessary as well. They are Romeo and Juliet of the dove world. All the rest of the doves seem to be single and available. They should make an internet dating site: DoveMatch.com or DoveHarmony.com....Ok I can't come up with anything more clever than that.


While Tom was helping our neighbor secure her tree against the winds, I took the opportunity to photograph the happy couple in action.
**Warning: Mom, don't read this next sentence.** Although they have a peaceful reputation, Tom and I can clearly attest to their rowdy behavior with the wonderful exception of these two. All the other doves fight over the food, and they do not coexist very peacefully at all.

**OK MOM** all clear...
AnyWHO--It made me start thinking of other happy couples. Hmmmmm. Let's see. Tom and Artimus look like a fairly peaceful, happy couple. That's not very suprising though. However: HOLD the phone...Now, just look at this: GOLLUM and Tom look like a happy couple. Hey now, that's MY baby. See, I knew all along, he's mine.
Artimus and Gollum seem to be a happy couple sometimes too. It's a rare, sweet moment. Now here are some of our happy couple pictures.





Now for a little menage a trois.

3 comments:

  1. How CUTE! I had no idea where you might go with that, but of course it was delightful.

    OK Andrea, I guess with all animals they will have their moments, like over food, babies, or maybe over their companions, let nothing bother those! - BUT doves are USUALLY peaceful. (Now does that do it? - - ha!)

    I wonder where the doves will make their nest? Watch for it, they are noted for being bad nest builders, so you might have to help it along if the wind does damage. Daddy fortified a place on our porch that they seemed to love and used for several years in a row. It was very nice to see the babies grow.

    I loved all of the couple pictures but especially loved the one of you and Tom with your green shirt. You looked very nice, (maybe green is your color?, truthfully I think you look marvelous in any color!)

    Have a great Memorial Day you all!

    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    There are two pictures that I really, really liked...You and Tom (you have the white necklace and blue top) and Tom curled up asleep with Gollum (?) in his arms. And of course, and I am still jealous with you having the doves in your house! Priceless experience.
    Love
    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. I agree with Mom, I like the green shirt pictures, too! Neat post :)

    ReplyDelete