Monday, May 25, 2009

Duck Attack

This is a very ugly duck. It has clumps of red, scaly skin on its head that looks like nasty diaper rash growths.At Green Valley park, where the magic of boot camp happens, we have this problem. This duck/goose from hell terrorizes the boot camp girls. The duck actually chases us around the park. Sounds cute? Yes. Sounds funny? Yes. But it has turned serious. This duck bites. It doesn't have teeth, so I presumed it couldn't break the skin. Boy, I was WRONG. I had to carry him away from us at one point since it was disrupting our exercise class. He didn't bite me then, so I thought he must be friendly. Nope. I think it just liked the attention, and decided to enjoy the ride. It came right back of course. I'm hoping the duck finds love in the duck world instead of looking for love in all the wrong places of the human world. I'm guessing it will mellow out once it becomes a father or mother. I'd love to know more about this animal. What kind of duck is it? How can you tell if it's male or female. We need a duck whisperer! We thought the duck was protecting her nest, but he/she is all over the place! It doesn't stay in one section of the park, and occasionally it will waddle from one end of the park to the other just to mess with us. If walking isn't fast enough, it will just fly over to us. It's probably a 10 lb duck/turkey/goose. I've started wondering how it would taste.



Here's the other duck; so far, it's not aggressive, but it will probably learn quickly from its buddy.


He isn't camera shy. I was backing up the whole time while taking these pictures. He just kept charging at me.





In this picture, it may appear to be smiling, but it isn't. It's actually trying to attack me.

I'm not sure what's going on in this picture. The white duck is either attacking or mating with the devil duck.
I couldn't tell. I thought it was pecking the other duck. I thought maybe it was "protecting" the other duck from me.
There is my blue exercise mat that he/she tries to eat. The white duck just follows him around now.



This duck doesn't play favorites. Here it is chasing a nice old man down the sidewalk.





It charges at young moms with babies in strollers.



This little girl has no idea what kind of danger she's in. Uh oh. At least she has crackers and bread. Maybe she's smarter than the rest of us. We all just need to bring a loaf of bread to boot camp. Then the duck will go into some diabetic coma and leave us alone!






3 comments:

  1. Looks like an ugly duck to me. I think it needs to be relocated to a non-human area. So sorry it disrupts boot camp! Great pictures, even if you were retreating at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If during all of that you think of how the duck would taste, wow Andrea, you really are becoming a chef at heart.

    I do think you need to take a cue from the little girl,(not the sit down eye to eye with the evil creature, but the idea that follows). If the duck likes the rides you give it and always comes back, maybe feeding it will make it appreciate you being on it's turf. (And leave you alone?) Sound like it might be worth trying.

    Did you ever think this might be mating season and he/she is more touchy? It could be a reason for the odd behaviour. Other than all the above mentioned things to think about and do, bring a flyswatter and whack it a few times on the head and maybe it will decide it hurts to much to bother you.

    Well I think that is all I can work on the problem about the bird tonight. I had a wonderful weekend and I hope you did also. I am tired and am going to bed.

    Love you loads, Mom

    P.S. Don't risk life and limb for great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jere and i got the bright idea (ok it was all me, but he let me) to get the kids baby ducks for easter.

    it was awesome, they swam in the bath tub and the kids could hold them.

    then, they got bigger and not so cute, they began chasing the kids when they wanted to be fed and they harassed the dog when we weren't looking, just ask molly. and cleaning out their pool was a whole new level of disgusting!

    anyway, i tried teaching them their boundaries and such and in the end jere just decided to relocated them to his work at the time where they had a huge duck pond.

    lesson learned. no more easter ducks

    cole

    ReplyDelete