Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Storage unit jam

I got the big idea to clean out our storage unit in order to make room for a spare dog crate that I've been carrying around in my car. I went down to the basement where I stood in amazement realizing that I had no plan of action. The basement is home to the storage units as well as the parking garage, the boiler room, the bicycle racks, and electrical/maintenance rooms. It's dusty, smelly, and generally just uncomfortable. Many of our belongings in the storage unit will just have to remain. We won't be throwing out our extra folding chairs, golf clubs, poker table/chairs, suitcases, and empty plastic storage bins. I wouldn't mind trashing the Christmas decorations, since I never decorate for Christmas, but it seems like a lot of work without a lot of reward. It wouldn't free up much space. I managed to part with the duffel bag, the super old green suitcase, and Tom cleaned out the extra cords from the "Zappos" box. He took the wine cooler to work and re-purposed it to hold his mustard/ketchup/soy sauce and other condiments. There was progress, but I'm skeptical we will ever be rid of the storage unit. I am convinced once again that it's worth the $50/month after all.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, cleaning out a storage space would be overwhelming. For me it's our closet - just a colossal mess. You did good to get rid of a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey don't worry...you clean it out and you will just mess it up all again. This way, you will just simply throw it away the first time since you don't have anywhere to put it!

    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deciding what is important to keep because you might need it someday is one of the great faults of your mother. BUT, - - -I am getting better. I think Simpie is rubbing off on me, she never wanted to leave a lot of stuff for her daughter Doris to deal with. I have gotten loads better, and I try to deal with stuff as I get it, and I do not buy as much stuff as I used to.

    The one thing that helps me is that I do not have ANY storage that I can NOT see. All of my storage is where is can see it, at least every once in awhile. When I see "piles", it unnerves me until I deal with them. Oh yes it may take eons for me to get around to it, but you just wait till I have my men folk gone for a few days and then I dig in.

    Hopefully I will not leave a big mess for my children as Simpie did not leave for Doris. She was an inpiration to me in many ways that has stayed with me, and am very thankful for.

    I hope I will make Simpie proud of me. (I know you will too.)

    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete