Monday, May 25, 2009

The "SP"=squirrel park


What a couple of really pretty days we've had lately! The threat of rain hasn't altered our plans much at all. Going to the park is a real no-brainer.


Tom and I have to spell out "squirrel" and "park" so that Artimus and Gollum don't know what we are talking about. So we've shortened squirrel park to just "SP." The dogs get smarter and smarter all the time, so the simple act of spelling out words will sometimes get them going.Other words that are spelled: b-a-t-h, g-o, w-a-l-k, o-u-t-s-i-d-e....you get the idea. If they get too excited and we decide to make other plans, the disappointment is palpable--just too much to take. I guess I'm "projecting" a little bit here, just a little.
The entrance to Trinity Park off of University is called the "squirrel park" in our home. The entrance to the park off of 7th Street is called the "duck pond." In reality, we usually visit both sides of the park anyway; it's all connected. On this particular day, we wanted to see squirrels, and we were not disappointed. I think I counted 15 before I got distracted and just gave up. Thanks to a lady we nicknamed "squirrel lady" who generally arrives before us, we are flooded with squirrels. The lady feeds the squirrels while her poor dogs are forced to "sit" and "stay." They must be in hell. Her dogs, deprived of their natural strengths and instincts, must watch their owner feed squirrels while they are tethered to a leash in shame and indignity.
On the flip side, it's a jackpot for our family! We wait until squirrel lady leaves, then we UNLEASH the hounds! Actually, they never have a leash, but we "release" them to wreak havoc on the rodent populations. It's so much fun. Sometimes the squirrels get confused and can't decide which tree to climb, so they zig-zag and switch directions mid-sprint. This creates another dimension of craziness and increases the odds that Artimus or Gollum can catch up to them. This is the only picture I actually got of a squirrel. Both dogs walked right by this guy without even noticing.Artimus got a mouthful of squirrel fur during this trip, and indeed it was very gratifying.

Way to go ferocious squirrel hunters! Hee hee ....not really, more like squirrel chasers. They wouldn't actually hurt a squirrel, because the "chase" is the FUN part.

3 comments:

  1. The "boys" would have a hay-day at Grandma's house. I can not keep the pesky animals out of my potted plants, thus I have pecan trees everywhere, - - - - - even in my STUDY! No, I did not know I brought in pecans last fall. Oh well, all I have to do is tug, - - - - real hard. They have a root on them that you would not believe! If I do not catch them early, and I mean early, two to three inches tall, it is very hard and I fear I am damaging the roots of the plant that I have paid for, planted and nurtured for so very long a time! Lovely squirrels, cute but they can do a lot of damage to MANY things. "YEA" Artimus for getting a little of that pests fur. I will have to give him a little more lovin' next time I see him.(Of which he is not fond of, maybe I will just tell him how proud of him I am. Would that be a better prize?)

    I must tell you that your park pictures are near breathtaking. Again I really enjoyed your blog. Thank you.

    I love you - ALL, MomGrandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    My boys would love to go to a park like this. The problem would be keeping up with them. Woody and Enoch will come back when you call...NOT JACOB! We would probably never see him again.

    Sorry boys, our backyard will have to be your park.

    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Artimus caught up to a squirrel, huh? Neato! I like the next to last pic with Gollum prancing across the sidewalk. You do spoil those pups with all the exciting outings!

    ReplyDelete