Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lunching at my Mom's house

I went to Mom's house this week remembering that Mother's Day is coming up, and my sister and her kiddos were there too. We ate lunch, and I tried a date for the first time. It was SO sweet...better than a prune or raisin. Mom offered one to Mark, and he asked "Is it good for my poopie?" Hilarious! I hope he didn't get his feelings hurt when I couldn't disguise my laugh. Obviously, he is interested in his bowel movements or lack thereof.



While we were eating, I put the dogs away in their crate. Mark and Leah were clearly fascinated.Instead of making the kids' sandwiches, I've started putting the lunchmeat and cheese on toothpicks for them. This adds a whole new dimension of fun. Kids like toothpicks, and we got to answer all kinds of questions..."What are they made of?" "Can they be recycled?" "Can I eat them?" Mark commented that toothpicks are great, because he doesn't have to touch his food and get his hands dirty. Smart kid. He also found out that he could become a walrus with properly placed toothpicks.

Leah tried too. She's always trying to copy her older brother, with varying degrees of success.


After lunch, I wanted to entertain the kids. Usually I just throw my phone at them, and they are pretty happy. But at Mom's house, the opportunity for a really interesting game of hide-n-seek sounded like so much more fun! At one point, my sister hid behind some curtains, and I had a really tough time finding her! I need to brush up on my hide-n-seek skillz.
Danell and I got to explore all of our old hiding spots in the house, and Mark asked why his mom and I lived in the same house at the same time. I get stumped at questions like that, but my sister is a great mom and talks through everything with him.
We played peanut-butter jelly time. Yes, there is a game called peanut-butter jelly time. It involves playing a ridiculous song on the Iphone and dancing around trying to wave your arms and legs in some kind of coordinated fashion. Totally ridiculous and totally fun. Mark and Leah wanted to play with the phone after all, so they played a few games, then the picture-taking started. Leah wouldn't leave me alone until she got a picture of my bottom. Maybe I should have pulled up my pants first. The saggy rear looks so sad.
The front didn't look much better though. I can't wait to get those braces off. Brush your hair much? Thanks, Mom for a super fun day!







3 comments:

  1. Andrea, Your beautiful write-up on our stupendously fun day was so perfect! Loved it!

    The pictures and writing about all of the fun we had, made me laugh out-loud.

    We need to do that every once in a while. We might have to wait for the kiddos to forget some of those hiding places, THEN we can start again. Maybe we could find some new ones?

    Great Fun, Great Blog, Thank you Sweetheart for such a wonderful day!

    Love you very much, Mom

    P.S. You look beautiful even with the braces. You make them look good. Lovin' you -

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an absolutely wonderful post! I can only imagine what a wonderful time you all had. Do you remember was playing hide the thimble, penny, electric cap, and nail? Each one had a value of its own? What wonderful memories we all have! Aunts have alot of fun, don't we?

    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got around to reading this and I love it! Neat pictures go great with the story. I liked the part about Leah copying her brother! Leah saw some of the pictures and laughed when I asked her if she took a photo of your bottom. I asked her why and she said, "Because I wanted to!"

    ReplyDelete