Saturday, June 13, 2009

Canadian darlings, I mean goslings.

Ok, just let me know if you've seen anything cuter than a Canadian goose teenager. Don't tell Artimus and Gollum I started out the blog this way.I have watched these guys grow up, and I finally decided to bring my camera and some bread to boot camp with me.  

I got to the park early and snapped these pics.
Here is the blue heron that apparently doesn't eat bread.  At one point, he had a girlfriend.  She was a few inches shorter and solid white.  She was beautiful.  I only saw her once though. They have a baby--a very elusive little blue heron.
Here is the duck family.  They liked the bread too, but they just aren't as cute.
And where is deadbeat duck dad?
Here they are coming toward me.  Mom is rude enough to hiss at me.  Talk about "biting the hand that feeds you!"
Yummy yummy whole grains.
Mom is keeping a really close eye on me.  And Dad stands a respectable distance away.  His dignity and pride will not allow him to take "handouts."  I really respect him.  

What a babeeeee!  They are goofy, gangly, and so cute.

I wanted to know more about them, so I went to Wikipedia.

During the second year of their lives, Canada Geese find a mate. They are monogamous, and most couples stay together all of their lives. If one is killed, the other may find a new mate. The female lays 3–8 eggs and both parents protect the nest while the eggs incubate, but the female spends more time at the nest than the male.  During this incubation period, the adults lose their flight feathers, so they cannot fly until their eggs hatch after 25–28 days.

Adult geese are often seen leading their goslings in a line, usually with one parent at the front, and the other at the back. While protecting their goslings, parents often violently chase away nearby creatures, from small blackbirds to humans that approach, after warning them by giving off a hissing sound.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the geese, the pictures, AND the information explaining it all.

    What entertainment! Nature at it's best.

    You are the Darling, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    This was a great post! The pictures were out of this world!
    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take these pics with your real camera? They are awesome and the goslings are way too cute! How did you get the Wikipedia link and pic on your post?????? Good job!

    ReplyDelete