Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blue Heron (ain't so great)

I went to the park early this morning to photograph this bird.It's undeniably pretty....pretty prehistoric-looking too. And I thought it would be a kind bird, but no, it's sortof a bully. It's territorial.
It chased away the mom to these little ducklings when she got in his "area."
So, that's when I started to have fun with this big guy. Thank goodness he didn't start attacking me, because that beak looks pretty sharp.
I started chasing it around the pond.
Hahahaha...Who's the bully? Running away from me? Are we camera shy Mr. Heron?
At least I got some mid-air shots.
Bye for now. Stop chasing the ducks!
Here's some info from Wikipedia:
The primary food for Great Blue Heron is small
fish, though it is also known to opportunistically feed on a wide range of shrimps, crabs, aquatic insects, rodents, other small mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and small birds. Herons locate their food by sight and usually swallow it whole. Herons have been known to choke on prey that is too large.

Great Blue Herons build a bulky stick nest, and the female lays three to six pale blue eggs. One brood is raised each year. If the nest is abandoned or destroyed, the female may lay a replacement clutch.Reproduction is negatively affected by human disturbance, particularly during the beginning of nesting. Repeated human intrusion into nesting areas often results in nest failure, with abandonment of eggs or chicks.

Both parents feed the young at the nest by regurgitating food. Parent birds have been shown to consume up to four times as much food when they are feeding young chicks than when laying or incubating eggs.

3 comments:

  1. Andrea,
    I am so glad you were there to defend the baby ducks! They are so cute. I don't think I like the heron...bullies aren't up my ally. I do wish I had a picture of YOU CHASING THE HERON! Whew, too cute I am sure! The picture; however, of the heron flying, is awesome!

    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say ditto to Phiss' comment. To see you chasing after the bird would be worth a YouTube appearance, I am sure!

    Nice photos of the grumpy beast, and as usual, love the info, even if it is about a "not too friendly" bird.

    I hope you are having a great weekend.

    Happy Father's Day to Tom.

    Love you all, MomGrandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first pic, very pretty! That blue heron will be scarred for life :) And choking on their prey? That's just weird.

    ReplyDelete