Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fire!

I went to buy a fire pit for the backyard. Thanks to Karen's suggestion, Walmart was the most convenient place. Karen also reminded me to buy the firestarter logs, the firewood, and maybe some long matches. I went a little crazy, because I really wanted to have the fire going before Tom came home from work. I was pretty certain he had a hidden pyromaniac inside.I bought the more expensive fire pit, since it was only $20 more than the cheapest. Overall, I think I spent $150 on everything.
It took me a while to assemble the thing, because I built it upside down at first. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so since I was racing to put it together, I didn't have the fire actually burning when Tom got home. Still, we had fun doing it together. We burned newspaper and cardboard and definitely went overboard on the first fire at the new home.
Since that first night, we've had a fire every evening, and it gets easier and more fun. By the end of winter, I expect we will have black lungs...but the fun was worth it!!
Mallory smells like smoke every day now...she's a firebug herself. =)

6 comments:

  1. very sweet post, i love the smell of the wood burning.

    btw i love the precaution of buying the new sprayer for the hose :D

    very funny,

    nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool looking...uhm...cool fire...doesn't sound like they go together!

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fire pit is very pretty. I think you bought a nice one indeed.

    Just a thought, that if you wanted to make your firelog go a little further, you can cut it up. We have been doing that for a long time to start our fires. It works very well and makes the firelog inexpensive for the amount of fires it starts.

    I love a fire during the cold season. So glad you can have one inside or out. - Neat.

    Love my "firebug" daughter, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom--thanks for the suggestion...It can get expensive using those firelogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. upside down? :snort: that is so funny and completely awesome that you wanted to have it all done by the time tom got home.

    i do see some critical components that you are missing. and those components are spelled s-m-o-r-e-s!

    we do love ourselves a fire. we used to have them all the time, both inside and outside. maybe we'll get back to it this year. not sure though since well... it brings back some very good memories that would be awfully bittersweet right now. being a pyro runs in the family with all my boys!

    love you,
    marsha

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry we forgot to pack you some wood last time you were over. Maybe we won't forget next time! We are getting low on wood ourselves, need to make a trip to get some more! We love fires, too :)

    ReplyDelete