Sunday, September 20, 2009

How to make dog food


Artimus has some dental issues, so I make him food instead of buying the canned variety. I don't know if I'm doing this because it's cheaper or that I don't want to carry a bunch of cans up to the apartment and find a place to store them. Of course, it's probably because Artimus and Gollum wrote me several good recipe reviews and decided it was their favorite meal.

Main Ingredients:
eggs
oatmeal or brown rice
chicken, tuna, and/or salmon
ground flaxseed

Fillers:
corn, carrots, peas
white rice or pasta

(I occasionally include a doggie multivitamin that I've softened up with water overnight.)

The quantities or amounts really don't matter all that much; I just throw it all together, and my dogs seems healthy and can't get enough of it. I've discovered I have to give them more in comparison to when I was using dry dog food. It must not have as many calories as store-bought food. I have to make it every other day to keep it fresh. I haven't tried to freeze it yet, but I'm sure that would work.

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is, - - - - - SPOILED!

    You are really some Mommy!

    Love you all, MomGrandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely spoiled! :)

    Do you mix the egg in or do you cook it first and then toss it together? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fry the eggs first; or very frequently, I will hard boil a dozen at a time; somehow that seems easier, then I save a couple for myself and Tom for breakfast, and the rest goes to the dogs. Now that we have Mallory, I have no idea what I'm gonna do; I think I'm just going to soften up some regular hard dog food with water overnight. Feeding them separately seems like a hassle. Congratulations on your one and only puppy. Snowball must be a proud mom; what is its name? I'm sleep deprived; i'm not even going to edit this comment!!

    ReplyDelete