Monday, April 27, 2009

Dogs on a Treadmill

I took a million pictures of this; believe it or not, this shot is the LEAST blurry of them all. I should probably drag out my nice camera, but the Iphone is just so darn convenient.
I used a video clip of just Artimus, but they usually walk together.
We taught them how to do this a couple years ago. Artimus and Gollum lack the FAT or FUR to keep them comfortable outside during the cooler temperatures. They certainly don't go out in the rain, ice, snow, or even windy days. So we were stuck with these dogs who needed exercise.

Enter: The Dog Whisperer (National Geographic Channel)
He used the treadmill to rehabilitate many dogs, because an exercised dog is mentally much happier. He says dogs need exercise, discipline, and love in that order.
We never knew dogs could be trained to use a treadmill through positive reenforcement and a process called shaping. Basically, you take every step of the process and break it down in their little minds. Use lots of yummy treats. The first hurdle might have been the most difficult. Make them unafraid of this big, new piece of furniture that two strangers had just plopped down in the middle of the apartment. Next, convince the boys they want to get ON the treadmill. Then, start the treadmill. Baby steps baby steps. We used leashes at first, but they got the hang of it. I can actually walk on the treadmill with each of them individually as well.


4 comments:

  1. Loved the video, and so did the kids (especially Leah)! I didn't know that you had to train them to walk on the treadmill, I guess I figured they would just do it if you asked them. That's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I was surprised that they did not have a leash, THEN I realized how smart the "boys" were and knew they could probably learn anything.
    They are happy and healthy little boys.
    Keep up the good work.

    Love you all, MomGrandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, thanks Mom. They catch on pretty quickly when I add scrambled eggs to the equation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just toooooo awesome! He is so cute!

    Auntie Phiss

    ReplyDelete